Enzymatic Activity (SC.912.L.18.11)
For this investigation students predicted the effects of temperature and pH on enzyme activity. They shared data for discussion then answered the following questions for analysis:
- What are the independent and dependent variables for each experiment? What conditions were kept the same in all trials? Why?
- Were your predictions supported by the data? Explain.
- How is the enzymatic activity of the catalase related to pH? What does this tell you about the pH of your cells?
- At what temperature is the rate of enzyme activity the highest? Lowest? Explain.
- How does changing the temperature affect the rate of enzyme activity? Does this follow a pattern you anticipated?
- Why might the enzyme activity decrease at very high temperatures?
Read section 2.5 in the textbook and take notes. Click here to download the template.
activation energy, active site, bond energy, chemical reaction, denature, enzyme, products, reaction rate, reactants, substrate
To Demonstrate Mastery
To Improve Understanding
If you scored ≥70% on the quiz, choose one of the following:
If you scored <70% on the quiz, choose one of the following: